In the aftermath following the disaster that was Johnny Manziel’s first start...
Cleveland Browns WR Josh Gordon Faces Suspension After Failed Drug Test Per Report
Less than 24 hours after putting Cleveland back on the map by selecting Johnny Manziel, it appears the Browns are back on the negative press list. According to a report on ESPN’s “Outside the Lines” on Friday, “Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon could face a season-long suspension after a second failed drug test months ago, this time for marijuana.”
The fear of Gordon messing up again had been firmly on the minds of many Browns fans in the first round, as the push to draft Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans at No. 4 was loud in social media. However, when the team traded back to No. 9 it seemed like the Browns were content with where their superstar was in regard to his off-the-field issues that have been well documented.
The report went on to say that Gordon’s agent Drew Rosenhaus “declined to comment but said the information was not true.” When asked about it, Gordon told reporters, “You need to call Drew (Rosenhaus).”
**Editor’s Note: ESPN has since altered this quote from the original posting of the article referenced above to remove where Rosenhaus said the information was not true.**
If Gordon is suspended for a year like many are speculating, this is a massive blow to the Cleveland Browns. After passing on Watkins and Evans at No. 4, the Browns roster is currently composed of Nate Burleson, Greg Little, Andrew Hawkins and Travis Benjamin as the next four wide receivers after Gordon—outside of tight end Jordan Cameron, of course.
With the beginning of the second round just minutes away, we will see how serious these reports are when the Browns are on the clock at No. 35. If the selection is one of the many wide receivers left, it could mean the Browns are very concerned by the fact that they could lose their Pro Bowl wide receiver for the season.
The likes of Marqise Lee, Jordan Matthews, Allen Robinson and Donte Moncrief are just a few hot names to watch here in the second round. This could also force Ray Farmer’s hand to get him to move back into the second round for another wide receiver than the one they would take at No. 35 as well.
We are awaiting official word on the report and its validity, but something of this magnitude surfacing before the second round is not good for an organization which was been in the media spotlight all day. But I think it is safe to say that the Browns new quarterback could be without his top wide receiver target for the beginning of the 2014 NFL season.
More Browns Stories on Buckeye State Sports:
Latest posts by Bob Evans (see all)
- Cleveland Browns Need to Get Back to Targeting Andrew Hawkins Early and Often - December 18, 2014
- Johnny Savior? Cleveland Browns Fans Should Temper Expectations for Manziel - December 10, 2014
- Cleveland Browns QB Decision Should be About Brian Hoyer’s Play, Not Johnny Manziel - December 8, 2014
- Cleveland Browns Need to Get Back to Targeting Andrew Hawkins Early and Often
- Breaking Down the Cleveland Indians Acquisition of Brandon Moss
- Johnny Savior? Cleveland Browns Fans Should Temper Expectations for Manziel
- Cleveland Browns QB Decision Should be About Brian Hoyer’s Play, Not Johnny Manziel